Monday, April 29, 2013

There are different kinds of stupid

When I first started looking into other businesses I knew I wanted to do something completely different.  I searched online for my new identity...that's one kind of stupid.  What I found was a popcorn franchise.  They have great all natural freshly popped popcorn in 9 different flavors.  I called up and talked to "a guy" aka recruiter that gets paid to bring people into the franchise.  I didn't know that.  He told me all kinds of lies that I didn't check out because I thought he was telling me the gods honest truth 100% of the time...that's another kind of stupid, it's called naive.  The more I learned about the franchise the better it seemed so I went through all the pontificating and ass kissing and was "invited" to be in the franchise.  I'm pretty sure now I would have been invited no matter what because I had the money but it looked good at the time for them to tell me not everyone gets invited to be part of their awesomeness.  The day I signed the agreement I was very nervous but assumed it was normal jitters after spending thousands of dollars and committing your life to a new venture.  Now, most people go into business to earn money and that really was my intention.  I believed the company when they told me that's what would happen...more stupid but of a different kind, the kind where the company you just bought into doesn't really know what's going on.  Sadly, I'm at the stage where I'm trying to decide if they didn't care that my location would not do well or if they really thought it would because they don't know any better.  I think I've come to the conclusion that it's both.  I have a lot of advice for anyone considering going into a franchise and if you are one of those people, feel free to contact me and I will happily fill you in on what to do and what NOT to do!  I really have learned a lot about myself as well as how to run and research small businesses.  I do not make money, I do manage the business, work in the business, do all the books for the business, do the payroll for the business and pay the taxes as well.  I have a lot of experience I did not have before and feel like I have good advice for others in my same situation.  I wish I had done so many things differently and at the time I thought I was doing everything right.  Sometimes we  find ourselves in a situation we don't like and we can't get out of...that's when you're really tested in life.  Theodore Roosevelt once said:

"To the Man in the Arena"

It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly...who knows the great enthusiasms , the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat

Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave your comment below