Friday, April 26, 2013

Who am I?

I am a dentist.  I am a mother.  I am a wife.  I am a sister.  I am a daughter.  I am a BFF.  I am a popcorn popper (seriously, I really am), I am a problem solver.  I am a middle aged woman (it pains me deeply to say that), I am a niece, I am an aunt,  I am a mentor (at least I think I am).  These are the roles I play in my life and yet I still ask myself "who am I?"...there are many people that value me as a person and the things I do each day but I don't know that I value myself unless I can measure my own productiveness.  Being both a professional and a mom is a hard thing to balance as I'm sure many of you know.  I retired from Dentistry a year and a half ago and I was happy about it.  Since then I have   bought a franchise (I won't mention any names to protect the not so innocent but the franchise contains the word popcorn...I think it's the only popcorn franchise out there) and had very high expectations.  What a fiasco.  Now I find myself feeling worthless having gone from "Hey Doc" to "Hey housewife" to "Hey failed popcorn popper"...at least that's how I hear it in my head.  I'm embarrassed by what I do now and how unsuccessful I am.  Don't worry there will be a lot more details coming soon for those of you who like a good horror story or those of you who may just want to learn from my numerous mistakes and life lessons.  But what I really struggle with is what is success really?  How do you measure that?  Is it when your 17 year old son tells you you are "an awesome mom", or is it when you earn $200K a year?  Are you a success if you drive a nice car or when you are able to patiently teach your child to drive that car (patiently being the key word there)?  Thinking about these things is what I do best right now.  I hope you'll leave your comments about what you consider success...I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave your comment below