Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Hindsight is 20/20

It's truly amazing to look back on a year and all that it brings.  A year ago I started looking for a small business to buy so that I could contribute to our retirement and help pay for my children to go to college.  I had retired from dentistry but felt I was too young to do nothing.  My sister came to visit and brought with her some popcorn from Garret's in Chicago.  They are famous for their gourmet popcorn and the Chicago Mix (cheesy cheddar and caramel mixed together) and they must be doing something right because they charge a pretty penny and people wait in long lines that trail outside their door!  So, popcorn seemed like an excellent idea.  Should I do it on my own or should I buy into this popcorn franchise?  Franchises have it all figured out, right?  wrong.  Last May I started on this journey and when I think back it's amazing to me how clear it all is now.  How differently I see things...it's like black and white.  As excited and hopeful as I was then, I'm equally as discouraged and uninspired now.    Yes, I do make good popcorn.  Yes, I have learned a lot about business and trust.  I don't know what I'll be writing here a year from now but I know I'll look back with the same kind of awe at all that happened and how it changed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave your comment below