Saturday, May 4, 2013

Popcorn Paradise

So what's so great about popcorn?  If you need to ask that question then you are one of the few who doesn't like popcorn because most people do!  That's what's so great about it...that's why I felt like it was a great business to go into (and it is if you have the right location...) because everybody loves it young and old alike.  As an added bonus, my popcorn tastes really good and is also good for you, no fake stuff and no greasy oil topping, we use real ingredients including real butter:)  So why has this venture turned out to be unsuccessful?  well, I guess that's relative to what you consider success.  It's unsuccessful if you are looking at the numbers and hoping to see a profit!  It's successful if you taste the popcorn and see the smiles on the faces of our customers.  It's a great product.  It's in the wrong place.  The mall I'm in is not busy enough and does not create the foot traffic I need to have good numbers.  This is one of the things I have learned that is priceless really...where to open and more importantly where NOT to open.  I wish I had talked to someone like me before I had agreed on my location...hind site is 20/20, is it not?  There are several important factors involved when choosing a location and negotiating a lease with a mall.  I won't bore you with those details but I'm happy to share the information with anyone interested.  Buying a franchise is something I considered doing for a long time and when I finally took the leap, it was not what I expected at all.  Be careful, when you think you know everything and you've got it all under control with gathering essential information, ask for help!  Paradise?  no, not so much...but I look at it as a learning experience and in that respect it's certainly serving it's purpose.  I am one educated fool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave your comment below