Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Their last kiss

I can't go to an airport now without thinking about it.  How I was there and didn't realize at the time how important that day would be.  We were leaving and he was staying.  He drove us to the airport and hugged me and then he kissed her goodbye.  I turned to look over my shoulder to wait for her and I saw what would be their last kiss.  I didn't think anything of it at the time but afterwards it was all I could think of.  I still do.  I spoke to him once after that fleetingly over the phone to ask a quick question and never heard his voice again.  My point is that you never know when it's going to be "the last" something so don't take life for granted.  My dad died 3 days after he left us at the airport.  I took my step mom home for his funeral and ever since then, I can't go to the airport without remembering him and their last kiss.

1 comment:

  1. I don't always comment but I always read. I love your blog because it is real and makes me feel connected. You will most likely think of your dad every time you are in the airport but I can promise you the intense feeling of loss is replaced by fond memories over time. It's been over 15 years since my dad passed away and I am lucky enough to hear his voice every time I talk to my brother.
    For some reason when I think of your dad I remember birds. Not sure why. I also remember him carting us around when we were 6 or 7.
    Keep blogging and feel free to write that bestseller! I'll pre-order now. :)

    ReplyDelete

please leave your comment below