Saturday, December 7, 2013

Words of Wisdom

“Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again” — Nelson Mandela

I saw this post on Facebook this morning.  It's always heartbreaking when the world loses someone who has contributed so many good things and made the world a better place.  When I read this, it made me think about success and why it is that we judge each other by it.  I do it.  You do it.  Why?  Mostly, I judge myself by my successes.  I try not to...I really do.  My ass hurts from falling down so much but I get back up every time.  It reminds me of my one and only snowboarding adventure, but I digress.  It hurts each time I hit the ground but I keep going like the energizer bunny.  That's life though isn't it?  I've been in a place so low I did not want to get back up so I stayed down for a while making the decision as to whether or not I was done.  That was a really hard shove but eventually I made it back up.  It's always a conscious decision and a difficult one as to whether or not you get back on your feet after a blow.  Life is full of hard decisions and it's easier to quit than it is not to, ask anyone that has anything they consider important.  So what's success?  That's the question I always come back to.  It's getting off your ass when you get a big shove.  I have heard of and met people that have gotten back up so many times I'm amazed.  In my head and my heart I think "wow, that person is really strong" and I have the greatest respect for them.  It's inspiring...kinda like Nelson Mandela.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave your comment below